Monday, September 1, 2008

Happy Anniversary!


It’s been one year today since I became Mrs. Alvin J Proby, Jr. One year. But it feels like it was yesterday. I remember everything; feeling annoyed that everyone that morning was running late. Feeling anxious because traffic down to Ft Lewis was backed up and we were late getting to the church. Then the hustle and bustle of getting dressed, watching my girls get dressed, having people come in and out, letting me know what Alvin was up to and what was getting done.

Then putting my dress on and feeling like the most beautiful woman to ever wear a white dress. I’d love to just wear that dress around the house.

But when I saw him for the first time that day, everything in me went calm. It didn’t matter that we were late, or that my hair wasn’t exactly the way I wanted. All that mattered was that this man, this kind, amazing, wonderful man, wanted to marry me. Me.

When we stood there and said our vows, I knew that we were both speaking from our hearts.

“I love you. You are my best friend. I promise to encourage and inspire you, to laugh with you and to comfort you in times of sorrow and struggle. I promise to love you in good times and in bad, when life seems easy, and when it is hard, when our love is simple and when it is an effort, in times of deployment and non-deployment. I promise to cherish you and always hold you in the highest regard. These things I give to you today, and as long as we both shall live.”

I loved our vows because they were personal to us and our life, and because they are true. Every word. And “in times of deployment and non-deployment” is what we are living right now, one year after taking these vows before our loved ones and God. And amazingly, I love him more now than I did then, and I didn’t know that was possible. But I realize, our love will continue to grow. With time, as our family changes and grows, as we endure ups and downs, struggles, sorrows, triumphs, joys, our love will grow and change and mature. But one thing will never change. I love him, with all that I am.

Now and forever.

No comments: